Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Some Thoughts on Marriage

Christy and I have been married for almost eight years now. It is difficult to believe that it has been that long. There are times where it feels like we have been together just a few months and we barely know each other. These are the instances that make you ask your partner, "What the hell is wrong with you?!?" Although, I have found that your marraige will last longer if you learn to ask this silently in your head. In the heat of an argument, though, it is difficult to keep ones mouth shut. Another difficulty is to not become such a passive aggressive monster. That's right everyone. I wrote the book, teach the class, whatever you want to call it on passive aggressiveness. I mean, why would you be direct and sincere when you could have the fun of bottling up all of your frustrations and only letting them seep out slowly in the form of underhanded comments and banging dishes a little too loudly when cleaning up after dinner? C'mon, which sounds like more fun to you? I think our dishes have suffered more abuse in our relationship than anything else. What did they ever do to deserve to be used as pawns in my little head game I am trying to play with my wife? There is one thing wrong with my use of this tactic. I am married to the absolutely wrong person if this is how I should communicate my frustrations. For those of you who know Christy you know that she is a very direct person who tells it like it is. This is perhaps my favorite aspect of her personality. It does, however, make her defenses stronger against the more sophisticated passive aggressive techniques like, cleaning the entire house in one night, by yourself or the dreaded silent treatment. I know, how could anyone ever last against such terrible things?

I have to go but I will finish these thoughts later...

2 comments:

  1. One issue often is how men and women process issues, is the spice of life to learn how to live and love another! Best way to resolve is to set a date and time to discuss whatever is bothering you both and not in the heat of the moment.

    ReplyDelete